Cheese Braid - A Dairy Delicacy
With layers of buttery flaky dough and a sweet cheese filling, this cream cheese pastry braid is undoubtedly irresistible. Though it seems intimidating, making this delicacy from scratch is completely doable for the home baker. Follow these detailed instructions for success.
My mouth just starts to water when I think of this delicious treat. This is one of my family's classic recipes that I make for holidays and special occasions. I have to admit, that in real life this picture doesn't usually happen, since my kids would devour this before it hits the tray! Trust me, it's that delicious!
This recipe is simple to master, and doesn't take a lot of time. The end result is beautiful and oh-so-delicious. What more could you ask for in a recipe? Happy Baking!
Confectioners sugar (for decoration)
2 8 oz. Hard Unwhipped Cream Cheese
1 Egg Yolk
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Sugar
6 Oz. Confectioners Sugar
1 Bar White Chocolate
- Before you start. Cover your workspace with a disposable plastic for easy cleanup, and generously flour the surface.
- Filling Mixture. Combine filling ingredients besides for the chocolate in a bowl. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave and stir quickly into the mixture before it has a chance to set. Set mixture Aside.
- Roll the Dough. You can make your own dough, or take a shortcut and use a prepackaged pastry dough like I did. Roll the dough into a rectangle shape about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Fill the Dough. Place the cheese filling in the center of the dough filling up the length but leaving 1-2 inches empty from the top and bottom. The mixture should be about 4-5" wide with plenty of empty space on either side to fold over the dough.
- Fold the Dough. Fold over the empty flap of dough on the top over the filling. Repeat with the bottom flap of dough.
- Cut Strands. Using a knife, cut 3/4 inch slanted incisions on the dough on the right and left side. Don't cut too close to the filling, you don't want it to leak out.
- Happy Braiding! Take the top strand on the right and fold over the filling, take the left strand and fold over the filling, plus the right side strand. Keep braiding until you have completed all the strands.
- Bake. Place Cheese Braid on a lined cookie sheet and bake on 350 for an hour until golden.
Step 2 & 3
Step 4 & 5
Check out our 3 collections
Little White Dish
Subscribe for Newsletter
The latest news, events and stories delivered right to your inbox